Halloumi. Ahh halloumi. The salty, chewy cheese that everyone knows about except you.
Okay, I’m just kidding. All, I’m saying is, if you haven’t heard of halloumi, no biggy. You know now. Anyway, it’s becoming trendy so I can’t blame you if a.) the trend is only finding you now, or b.) you’ve never been to Greece so how the heck would you have known. This simple cheese is salty and fun to eat. Known for it’s higher melting point, this cheese can withstand some heat! Think of this cheese next time you want to make homemade fried or baked cheese sticks, it will stand up better than the traditional mozzarella route.
I’m sharing my halloumi over a salad because I LOVE cheese on my salads. Any cheese. I can find a home for cheese on my salads. Halloumi is just a fun way to bring some variety and interest to your normal routine. An intuitive eating jackpot!! When the inspiration strikes, take it my friend.
Pan Friend Halloumi on a Greek Salad
Served over Greek salad or salad of your choice!!
- 1 package halloumi cheese
- 1 tablespoon flavorless oil
- 1/2 of each red, yellow, orange bell peppers, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, skins removed and chopped
- Handful grape tomatoes, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 European cucumber, chopped
- Handful kalamata olives, pitted (chopped or not)
- 2 heads of romaine, cleaned, trimmed, and chopped
- Vinaigrette of choice (I like to use store bought Greek Dressing for weeknight dinner in a pinch!)
- In a cast iron pan, heat oil over high heat. Meanwhile, trim the rounded tops off the halloumi cheese, then cut depth-wise into 3 thin rectangles. The goal is for the cheese to resemble flat mini blocks of cheese. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the cheese down and away from you on the cast iron, one at a time. Once the cheese begins to melt a little and the cooking side has reached a nice brown, flip and cook on the other side.
- Meanwhile, assemble the salad and immediately serve once the halloumi is ready. Drizzle dressing over top and enjoy!
Yield: Family portionPrep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Total time: 10 mins.